Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 1: Buy a potty and try it out

I bought this potty. I sat there and stared at all the selections and remembered why I hate babies-r-us. So many options! How will I know what to choose? This one says doctor recommended, but this one says parent recommended...oh me oh my, what to do?!?

I chose this one. Mostly because it was a 2-in-1. When I got home, I looked up the reviews and was pleased it got 5 stars. Phew, I did something right. Double phew, I won't have to go back to that store and return it.
I let AV sit on it (with her clothes on) just to make sure I knew how the thing worked. She was obsessed with the toilet paper roll & kept digging her fingernails into it.


First Try
After her nap, I immediately took her into the potty and set her on it. She was sort of scared I think because I was trying to undo her pants/diaper all fast and my hands were cold on her bum and let's be honest...I was a little nervous too! Plus I had to lay her on the wood floor (note to self: buy a rug for the bathroom floor) so that probably wasn't comfortable for her.

I set her on the potty. She wanted off. I showed her the toilet paper roll to distract her and....

PEE. Waaahoo! Much praising and kisses followed.

She was still obsessed with the toliet paper roll, which I confiscated and it led to her getting upset. Hence this is the only picture I got from our first experience:
I tried to reward her with a treat (marshmellow) but I don't think she grasps the concept of rewards yet. Praises and kisses are probably enough for her at this age.

I put her on the potty about 2 other times that afternoon--nothing. I missed her 1 poo of the day b/c I couldn't get off the phone. Darn.

Summary of day 1: Wow, it can't be this easy. I'm sure this was a coincidence. The whole undressing process is a little time consuming since I'm still using diapers so have to lay her down. Also, I'm not sure what to do about the wiping aspect either. It is a little awkward since as you can see by the photo, there isn't much room down there.

Miscellaneous thoughts: The seat is definately made for an older child (the package says 2 yrs) but we'll have to make do. You can see her feet don't even hang over the toliet.

Note to self: Keep a book or something in the bathroom to distract her from the toliet paper roll. Get a rug for the bathroom floor.

0 comments: