Stats: 11 months
Here was my thought process: If I can recognize when AV goes to the bathroom, then I'll try and see if I can get her to recognize it too.
For the past 3 weeks, I've been trying to see if I can recognize when AV goes to the bathroom. I finally saw a pattern. She shudders when she pees (mostly right when she wakes up or is eating). She goes off to a corner and grunts when she poos, after which she comes over to me probably so I'll change her. She usually poos once a day, in the afternoon.
This is good. I can recognize it and she has a pattern.
So I started saying "potty?" and pointing to her bum. At first she would clap her hands and think I said "patty" as in patty-cake. Oh well.
This went on for a few weeks. I tried to be consistent. But let's be honest, she is with Jake and the babysitter so it's not like I was doing this 100% of the time. At this point, I wasn't stressing. I tried to change her diaper promptly, and said "potty" a zillion times if I thought she was using the bathroom. I kept wondering if I was saying it too much? Was she making the connection?
I decided to let her sit on the toilet, seat closed. She thought it was funny.
So that day, I went out and bought a toilet ring potty. There is NO WAY I'm getting one of those narsty miniature potties where you have to clean it out. Ewww. Not my thing.
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Pre-potty training: recognizing signals
Posted by Emily Bartlett at 10:41 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment