I wanted to try in the morning, but Jake handles the morning routine since I'm at the gym.
I tried before her morning nap. Nothing. Darn.
When I heard she was awake from her nap, I immediately went and got her (usually I let her play for a few minutes) and set her on the toilet.
She was clingy and wanted to get off but I was prepared with a book for distraction. It worked and...
PEE! Lots of praise and kisses.
What I'm thinking: Seriously? Wow, that was easy. But it is still annoying to undress her and undo the diaper. I put her in an easier outfit since I knew we'd be home all morning. A shirt and leggings--no pants to fiddle with.
Attempt 2: False alarm. Annoying to go through the motions and not have a success.
Attempt 3: She came over to me after lunch. It took me a couple seconds to realize she was pooping so I SPRINTED to the bathroom. Is it worth it to stick her on the toliet mid-poop? We'll see. YES, so worth it since she finished pooing in the toliet! Booo-yaaa.
Note to self: need a better wiping method--things are a bit cramped and she's still a bit scared and rigid on the potty so I can't really wipe very well. Suggestions anyone? Also, I need to buy some flushable wipes.
She went down for her afternoon nap with a dry diaper.
Attempt 4: After her nap I rushed to the potty. I could tell the diaper wasn't wet so I thought for sure I'd have another success. BUT I had to discipline Cricket b/c the toilet paper roll went down the stairs unrolling all the way down and she chased it so there was tp everywhere and this took about 2 minutes. By the time I got back to AV, she had already gone in her diaper, still laying on the bathroom floor waiting for me. I still put her on the potty but she'd already gone at that point so = failure.
Attempt 5: After running errands (I thought for sure she would go in her diaper while we were out, but she held it for 2 hrs) I ran into the house. Sat on the potty for about 2 min, not interested. Ran the bath water and she was standing against the bathtub without a diaper on and peed on the floor. Nice.
Attempt 6: Last attempt before bed. Dry diaper since previous attempt so again I thought she might need to go. But she didn't. So put her to bed in the same dry diaper.
My thoughts: now that I think about it, these last 2 failed attempts are still minor successes because she held it in at least until we made it to the bathroom area. I still don't know if this is on purpose or just coincidental timing. I wonder. It sort of fascinates me to think that she could really be forming conclusions in her head that "pee equals bathroom". But I also do think at this age she might not have total control of her bladder. Might be interesting to read about if they have done studies and know when children have bladder control. But that's too much work so I probably won't :)
Summary: 2 successes in the toilet, and 2 semi-success where we at least made it to the bathroom, and I count dry diapers as a step in the right direction. I don't feel like I expended too much extra work or that it was extremely inconvenient. The most annoying part is messing with the diapers and laying her down to re-assemble the wardrobe afterward. All in all, it was pretty laid back.
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Day 2: will the novelty wear off?
Posted by Emily Bartlett at 11:07 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment